How is 2016 shaping up for you?
For all of us at Make A Change Canada the new year brings a host of exciting developments. One such development is our new website and a blog feature that will allow us to reach greater heights of communication with our clients and supporters in 2016. We are also developing a virtual call centre operation that will provide employment opportunities for our own clientele, while offering businesses a socially responsible alternative for their marketing needs.
What sets us apart?
We feel that our culture and how we focus on client success really sets us apart. We work with highly talented clients, and not surprisingly, we feel very passionate about what we offer. Our 2016 desk calendar—which features paintings and photography by our program participants and graduates—celebrates this uniqueness month by month. I always enjoy distributing this calendar each year to our valued clients and supporters.
In speaking with others, I often hear how much our mission touches them. Everyone seems to identify with the need to give those facing challenges to employment the chance to provide for themselves and their families, and enjoy a meaningful career. Helping those who are struggling is central to our mission, and we care deeply about nurturing the capacity of our clients to achieve their goals. Some wish to seek formal employment, while others want to become self-employed entrepreneurs. Whatever the goal, 2016 and beyond is looking bright for our clients. This, I know, is due largely to the backing we receive from our community partners and supporters to help make our mission a reality. We begin 2016 with a big “thank-you” to everyone involved.
With sights set firmly on the exciting new developments of 2016, it is also inspiring to reflect on some of the milestones and pinnacle achievements that have carried us into our 11th year:
- Formed in 2004 as the Canadian Society for Social Development
- Founded by Kay Ryan, our first executive director
- Gained status as a charitable organization in 2005
- Began offering the Business Abilities and IBDE *Web Essentials/Web Advanced programs in 2005 (*known previously as Internet Business Development for Entrepreneurs)
- Presented with the Conference Board of Canada’s Award for Community-based Learning Opportunities and the Minister’s Award of Excellence and Innovation from Western Economic Diversification in British Columbia, in 2004
- Led by Jan Wright as executive director from February 2008 to May 2010
- Achieved accreditation under the Imagine Canada Standards Program in 2015
- Rebranded as Make A Change Canada and celebrated our 10th year in 2015
- Held our 10th year anniversary celebration in October of 2015 (Watch the National Extravaganza here.)
- Assisted over 1900 clients to date with our services
The Road Ahead
The road ahead for Make A Change Canada is bright—and this means a future of bright opportunities for our clients. There has never been a better time to become an entrepreneur or develop one’s web technology skills to gain a foothold in the labour market. I am continually amazed by the variety and form of businesses our clients are starting, and with the jobs secured by graduates of the Web Essentials/Web Advanced program. Grads are finding work in administration, marketing, business, and nonprofits, and are working as web developers.
A graduate I was speaking with recently, who works as a visual and project communications consultant, told me that there is so much work out there, and then, sounding somewhat fearful, remarked that “this is only the tip of the iceberg.” This outlook report shows just how far that labour market iceberg extends and is an excellent resource for anyone considering a career change.
I am very grateful for the opportunity to be involved in this important work, as are the dedicated staff, board, subcontractors, and volunteers who characterize Make A Change Canada.
Please keep in touch, bookmark us on your “must read” list, and Contact us for further information or assistance.
I look forward to 2016 being a positive year of making change for everyone!